Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Responding to some comments

Firstly, a note from my friend, Allan Burke,another from a contributor in Florida, and one from Woody: -

"Rossco, Just knew this design was coming! Ever since I read Munroe's story something keeps stiring inside me about Egret. WHEN I win the lottery you can build US an Egret original,then we'll both know how she sailed. Meantime your new design on the same theme will whet many other appetites I'm sure. There will be much interest in this boat of yours from those who know Egret. Al."

"Something about Egret grabs the soul! Living in coastal florida makes it even closer to home. Anxiuosly awaiting updates, as this design is closer to reality for me than the 28' replica!"

"Lovely! I wonder if the final drawling will be made for the possibility of the occasional night sleeping aboard. Woody"


Well, the customer who prompted the design of this boat has commenced purchasing materials and I hope that we may see some progress in a month or so. I don't think it will be a quick build due to his current workload, but the hull will be easy to put together once the components are assembled.

Construction is from 12mm, 9mm and 6mm marine ply using the traditional skiff construction technique of wrapping pre-cut side panels around frames and bulkheads i.e. no strongback is required. The bottom panel (12mm/1/2" ply) is fitted inside the topside panels flush with their lower edges, and then set in position with glass/epoxy as in stitch-and-glue.

As I mentioned in the original post , this design is not a copy of Egret's lines, but is an attempt to capture her character. The proportions are significantly different, as a direct copy would have resulted in some elements being unsuitable due to the difference in physical size. When drawing the new boat, I did not once refer to the Egret drawings until after I was completely finished.

As for sleeping aboard, there is just enough width to have a person sleeping on the floorboards on either side of the centreboard case. Length is not a problem.

I'm very interested to see how this boat goes. She has a small sailplan, but I suspect that she will go much better than many people would expect, and the customer visualises himself poling over the flats in good weather.
_________________________________________________________

"Love Phoenix III and First Mate. Your post prompted me to pull down L Francis' "Sensible Cruising Designs", and the beach cruiser was in the book. Great inspiration. Another of his designs that would make a useful beach cruiser is "Carpenter", built lightly..."

L. Francis Herreshoff's Carpenter - 18' LOA 16'3"LWL 4'6" Beam
From Sensible Cruising Designs - International Marine Publishing, Camden, Maine
I've always been fascinated by the shape and size of Carpenter, and in many ways she would perform the same function as Little Egret. But in my mind, I see Carpenter sailing on blue water off a rugged coast - comfortable under her modest sailplan and with her able and sea-kindly hull giving her skipper confidence....
_______________________________________________________________________

"Great post here in regards to stainless steel fasteners , my dad runs a company that produces them back in the UK, i've always been interested in their applications."

I don't use stainless steel fasteners very much because I am concerned about crevice corrosion. Stainless steel is ok as long as it is 316-grade, and is exposed to a free flow of water or air. But if the flow of air or water is restricted, rust forms quickly. A good example is the common sight of a stainless steel chain plate bolted against the topsides of a boat - the outer surface of the chain plate looks shiny and perfect, but there is a long red rust stain running down the boat where the chain plate is bolted against the hull. If you must use stainless steel, make sure it is 316-grade, and also be absolutely certain to set it in good-quality polyurethane bedding compound.

For permanent screws and nails, I use silicon bronze, but I do make extensive use of 316-grade stainless steel screws and brads for temporary fastening. People ask me why I use stainless if the fastenings are going to come out anyway? The answer is that if one breaks off, at least there is some chance that it will resist corrosion if it is burried in epoxy.
_______________________________________________________________

"Curious as to what design is "waiting in the wings" that may use leeboards. Sounds interesting. Maybe it's the one that will balance with a passenger seated on the aft thwart? Woody"


Well, there is the hull I was talking about. She is the same sort of size as Phoenix III and First Mate, but built either as a strip planked hull, or as a glued-lapstrake (clinker) hull with eight planks per side. The transom is shown vertical, but in the finished drawings it will have 10 degrees of rake. Breadth at the rail has been carried forward so as to allow adequate spread at the oarlocks when rowing from a forward position (yes, Woody, you were correct) and to provide reserve buoyancy. The other reason for carrying the breadth forward is to allow for better mounting of leeboards if that was considered.

These plans won't be available for quite some time, as I am too busy with building work, but I would like to build one for my own use - maybe....
___________________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The fenders really highlight the whitewall tires as well, yet another feature that makes it one of the flashiest and fun-looking cruisers around Affordable Cruiser Bicycle.


    beach bike

    ReplyDelete